Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sancho, My Worst Enemy

I discovered something pretty important this week. I realized how much power that pesky little voice in the back of my mind can have over me. Let's name him Sancho.

I started running last year. The thought of running more than a mile was terrifying. But gradually I built up my endurance and 1 mile became easy. I got to where I could run 3 miles at a time I was happy with. But I let Sancho trick me into thinking I couldn't run more than 3.2 miles. I believed him so much that I never even tried to run more than 3.2 miles. 

After taking a couple of months off, I started running again. On my third or fourth time on the treadmill in over 3 or 4 months, I told myself and Sancho I am going to run 4 miles. And I did- twice! Tonight I informed Sancho I am going to run 5 miles. I rocked it! Don't get me wrong, it wasn't easy but not impossible.

I was able to run 5 miles today not because I am in better shape than last year, but because I told myself I could do it.

Don't allow your little voice in the back of your mind tell you you can't do something. It is better to fail trying than not try at all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment