Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Flavor of the Month Obsession

It all started when P told me he was thinking about getting a personal trainer in the fall.

Let me back up. I have been begging gently asking P to workout with me. I knew he would love P90X and get great amazing bomb.com results.

But he couldn't seem to find the personal motivation.

I asked him to go to the gym and lift with me.

He said it wasn't his hobby. 

I understood that. Pool wasn't my hobby. So i dropped it. His BFF talked him into running a 5K. He did amazingly good. Beat me and almost won the bet. But hated it.

It wasn't his passion.

We talked him into doing the Warrior Dash at the end of August. Passed it off as a drink fest. He's probably going to hate it.

So why is he all of a sudden talking about a Personal Trainer?  What's his why?

He stumbled across another passion (besides pool). He loves to boat and wakeboard. As a result, he wants to get stronger and lose his belly. 

It's that simple. He found a hobby that he enjoys and realizes that if he gets in a little better shape he can get up on the wakeboard one more time. Push himself to attempt one more trick.  Get a little better.


And so today we joined a new gym. One of those spa type gyms with the most amazing amenities. Sure I'm a Beachbody Coach who should be promoting Beachbody workouts such as P90X or Insanity, but if Preston wants to join a gym and hire a personal trainer I'm in. No questions asked. Because the goal is getting in shape not about selling Beachbody workouts.

Now let me tell you about this new gym. It has a rock climbing wall!! Yep, it comes with the membership. I have been rock climbing only once and I immediately feel in love with the sport. But I never perused it because it's a two person activity and costs some cash-money-hoes.  Now I can do it everyday if I chose.

The new gym also has an MMA training room with MMA classes. Free with the membership. Oh how I have missed kickboxing.

We also get a health assessment that tells you what your inner age is- kinda like the Biggest Loser. Plus we can go back every 4 weeks to get a reassessment.

Did I mention, they have indoor tennis courts!

I am soo excited! But I am like this with all new toys. In fact, I'm going to the gym in the morning for my first official workout! Oh ya, the locker rooms are heaven!

I must admit I feel a little guilty for quitting Gold's. I'm leaving the smaller guy to join the big-box-drive-you-out-of- town company. Down inside I feel like a trader... Then I remind myself that Preston is just as excited as I am to workout. Finally! And the guilty feeling goes away.

No comments:

Post a Comment