Monday, July 11, 2011

Fair Food

Growing up and into my late 20's my most favorite time of the year was the El Paso County Fair. I have so many fond memories of the fair. They are silly memories like a carnival game, or riding in my Poppy's golf cart, or wining the Sheep show, sitting in the Cattle Barn, the excitement of seeing a boy or boys, catching chickens, Friday and Saturday night dances, fair food, the adrenaline of the sale. Honestly the list goes on and on. 

My favorite "Fair Food" yes this is a coined term. Not sure who coined it, but Katie Coulson White comes to mind. Anyways my favorite Fair Food is hands down no contention Indian Fry bread. It might just be called Frybread, but because the food booth, the same booth and people mind you for as long as I can remember, called it Indian Fry bread that is what it will forever be known as in my book. 


Since we are in the month of July- official fair season I decided to try and make my own Indian Fry Bread for our camping trip. It wasn't bad. I made the fry bread on Thursday and we didn't eat it until Saturday. I think it would have been a lot better fresh.  
Pre-Cooked
Indian Fry Bread

Harley Supervising

Here is the recipe I used and the video I followed. The video definitely adds character! Enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • Hot shortening or oil in deep frypan or fryer 
Steps:
  1. Sift dry ingredients.
  2. Lightly stir in milk.
  3. Add more flour as necessary to make a dough you can handle.
  4. Kneed and work the dough on a floured board with floured hands until smooth.
  5. Pinch off fist-sized pieces and shape into a disk
  6. Disk must be rather flat, with a depression -- almost a hole -- in the center of both sides.
  7. Fry in very hot oil or shortening (about 375°) until golden and done on both sides. Drain on absorbent paper.



website credit for recipe

3 comments:

  1. Ah, the good old days! : )
    Thanks for the recipe, can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harley is SO handsome!!! And although I only experienced 4 or so years of fair season, I too have the same memories!!! :)

    ReplyDelete