My favorite "Fair Food" yes this is a coined term. Not sure who coined it, but Katie
Since we are in the month of July- official fair season I decided to try and make my own Indian Fry Bread for our camping trip. It wasn't bad. I made the fry bread on Thursday and we didn't eat it until Saturday. I think it would have been a lot better fresh.
|Indian Fry Bread|
Here is the recipe I used and the video I followed. The video definitely adds character! Enjoy!
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- Hot shortening or oil in deep frypan or fryer
- Sift dry ingredients.
- Lightly stir in milk.
- Add more flour as necessary to make a dough you can handle.
- Kneed and work the dough on a floured board with floured hands until smooth.
- Pinch off fist-sized pieces and shape into a disk
- Disk must be rather flat, with a depression -- almost a hole -- in the center of both sides.
- Fry in very hot oil or shortening (about 375°) until golden and done on both sides. Drain on absorbent paper.
website credit for recipe