Sunday, May 23, 2010

Eating to LIVE- The Gorilla Way

While in Vegas I didn't really focus on eating healthy.
I came home and weighed in at 138.8!  

YIKES!

I knew I would put on some pounds in Vegas with all of the beer and fast food, but I didn't expect 138.8. 138.8 is dangerously close to 140, a number that I don't ever care to see again on the scale.

I heard about the Eat To Live diet by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. from a family member. Everyone in my family calls it the Gorilla Diet. At first we poked fun at the family member who first went on the diet, but after he lost a ton of weight and has kept it off most of us have jumped on the band wagon. Everyone that I know who is on this diet has had great success on changing their eating habits and losing weight. The transformation really begins when you learn what it means to eat to live instead of living to eat.

 .

I started this new way of eating on Tuesday.  
Today is Sunday and so far I have lost 5 pounds!!!  
That's right, I weight 133.8!!!!!
In a nut shell you eat the following:  
Greens  
Vegetables 
Beans  
Fruit  
Nuts  
Whole Grains

Your main meals should consist of salad greens with as many vegetables as possible. You can also have beans (green beans, black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans and refried beans) and any type of fruit. Nuts and/or avocados in moderation are also permitted as well. Whole grains are okay, but should be eaten once or twice a week.

Here is what I usually eat.  

Breakfast
OPTION 1: Shakeology.
OPTION 2: Slow cooked oatmeal with flaxseed. Fruit.
OPTION 3: Banana and other fruit. Mixture of nuts (walnuts, pecons, almonds, raw sunflower seeds).  

Lunch/Dinner
OPTION 1: Large salad made up of baby spring mix, spinach leaves and romaine lettuce. Tomatoes, onions, cucumbers and carrots. Flaxseed or mixture of nuts or avocado. Raspberry vinaigrette. Fruit mixture (strawberries, grapes, apples pineapple and bananas).
OPTION 2: Large salad with vegetables. Black Beans mixed in with the salad. Fresh salsa as the salad dressing. Mixture of fruit. Mixture of nuts or avocado.

OPTION 3: Large salad with vegetables and raspberry vinaigrette. Refried beans. Fruit mixture. I have found that this diet is pretty easy to follow. You don't have to count calories or points. You eat when you are hungry and that's it.

Last night Preston and I went to Cripple Creek. I knew I would get hungry so I packed strawberries, an orange and banana and a baggie of 1/2 cup of oatmeal with flaxseed. I ended up eating the banana and oatmeal (I just asked for a cup of hot water). Of course on the way home Preston was hungry so I asked him to stop at Taco Bell. I ordered Pintos and Cheese without the cheese.

Today I went out to lunch with my parents and Poppie. Poppie's restaurant of choice is the Golden Corral. Believe it or not, but this is the best place for someone on the Gorilla Diet as long as you have the will power to stay away from the deserts. I loaded up on a large salad with vegetables, green beans, bean salad, strawberries, pineapple and sunflower seeds.

I am so excited to be on this diet and finally get to my goal weight of 125!

No comments:

Post a Comment