Friday, August 10, 2012

{Barbell Fitness Class} A New Experience

I had a plan. Go directly to the gym after work. Throughout the day I kept telling myself this so I couldn't come up with something better to do on a Friday night.

I made it to the gym without any internal struggle. But once I got there I didn't know what I wanted to do. I noticed a barbell class was about to start. Before I could convince myself of 100 reasons why I didn't want to go I stepped outside of my comfort zone and walked in. 

Before today I had never done a barbell class or any class at Lifetime besides Zumba and one beginners yoga class. I hate walking into something not knowing. I guess doesn't everybody to some degree? If I could just be briefed and prepared for every thing that comes my way I could avoid all awkwardness and anxiety. If only, right!

As with most unknown things, the class ended up being fun and challenging. I learned a lot about proper form and technique; a lot of tips that I can use during my regular lifting sessions. I believe we worked every muscle except for calves. A total body workout is very gratifying. And it also gives you a chance to see what your strength areas are and where you are the most weak. Pretty much my core is mush and my quads are weaklings. I'm excited to see how sore I am tomorrow.

If you're wondering what else I did on a Friday night, I cleaned carpets. I rented one of those Mr. Carpet Cleaner guys from King Soopers and went to town. It can be a little addicting seeing all of the nar-nar brown water you dump out of the container. It makes you want to keep going and going and going. I just have the Master bedroom to finish up tomorrow.

Hope your Friday night was more eventful than mine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment