Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Eat... Pray... Love...

I just finished the most amazing book!
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert I love her writing style. She is witty, humorous, knowledgeable and honest. They way in which she tells her story is truly inviting.

At the end of the book most readers find themselves wishing they could go on the same self discovery journey that Gilbert writes about. I was no different. In part one I wanted to re-learn Spanish and travel to Mexico with Preston. In part two I wanted to find my God. I was and still am convinced that I need to find a Guru, meditate and practice yoga. I even went as far as to "Google" Ashram locations.

In part three , well I didn't connect as much with part three because I have already found love. What has stayed with me the most after finishing the book is the concept of self-mastery. I never really thought about this idea before, which is odd because, this concept is pretty obvious once you say it out loud.
I hold the power to control my actions and thoughts. 
   Lately, I have had a hard time controlling what I eat. I think some of it has to do with stress, emotions, PMS, yada, yada. It wasn't until Gilbert wrote about self-mastery that I realized I have the ability to control what I eat.

At times, I use food to fill a void. I eat without really being present in the moment. I am not over weight by any means so obviously I have some control, but at times I feel like I am powerless. In this situation, self mastery is about being present and making conscience decisions on what goes into your mouth. It is making yourself really focus and what you are eating and how much. I have no idea why, but this has helped me tremendously! When I want a candy bar or some other type of junk food I really, really think about it. I make sure I am present in the moment and in the decision that I make. Ashley jokes with me and says if she knew all she had to do to motivate me to eat healthy was to say to me "self-mastery" she would have said those words a long time ago!! It's funny where inspiration sneaks up from. It is usually at just the right moment in your life when you are open and ready to receive it.

No comments:

Post a Comment