Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What's Cookin' {Picante Fritatta}

Hey y'all. It's been awhile. I follow this blog called Bon Appetempt. It is so different from any other blog that I follow. It kinda reminds me of the movie Julie and Julia. Amelia, the blogger, writes about her experiences or attempts in recreating extravagant dishes from her collection of cookbooks.  

It's funny to me that what made me want to blog is this dish I made the other night. I loath cooking {baking is a different story}. However, ever since my family and I have started taking cooking classes from Grammie {we call this monthly gathering "Cooking with Grammie"} I have started to find myself in the kitchen thinking. "what can I make from scratch?"

{Cooking with Grammie: Lesson in Pie Making}



Last night I decided to make Picante Frittata out of Tosca Reno's The Eat-Clean Diet Recharged diet/cookbook. Preparing the ingredients for the dish was super easy and fast. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't burn the bottom of the eggs or under-cook the middle of the dish; it came out perfect. I topped my Picante Frittata off with homemade guacamole and this wonder new salsa I found at the super market- Tostitos Simply Natural Black Bean & Corn Salsa . I love it because I can pronounce the ingredients and it has 0 calories like all salsa should. 

If you skim through Bon Appetempt's blog you will understand why I took these pictures. Actually I think I was more excited to try and recreate the actual picture in the cookbook than I was cooking the dish!

{Onions, Red Pepper, Spinach}

{Frittata cooking on the stove}

{My Finished Product}


Picante Frittata via Tosca Reno's The Eat-Clean Diet Recharged
1 serving

Ingredients
1 tsp evoo
1 Cipollino onion, peeled and minced {I have no idea what this is. I used a yellow onion}
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and devened, cut into thin ribbons
1 cup baby spinach leaves, finely chopped
3 egg whites + 1 whole egg
1/4 cup skim milk
Pinch cumin
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Optional 
Salsa
Guacamole 

Method
Preheat ovent to 350 degrees. Make sure oven rack in the center of the oven. In a medium ovenproof skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add vegetables to skillet and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Wile vegetables are cooking, combine eggs, milk, salt, cumin and pepper. Whisk well. Pour egg mixture over cooking vegetables. Cook until edges are set and center is just beginning to set. Transfer to heated oven and bake another 5-8 minutes or until center is firm. Transfer cooked frittata to heated plate and serve.

Calories: 267
Protein: 24g

No comments:

Post a Comment